The longtime dream of providing a community-based, patient-centered approach to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer in Central Texas became a reality in 1994 with the opening of the James B. N. Walker Cancer Center. The center's namesake provided caring and compassionate services to Brownwood residents from 1934 until his retirement in 1968. Dr. Walker died of cancer in 1989.
A highly skilled staff of physicians, nurses, and therapists provides comprehensive outpatient cancer care in a comfortable, convenient, and peaceful atmosphere. Located in the Heart of Central Texas, the Walker Cancer Center is the only facility in an 80 mile radius offering the sophistication of Radiation Oncology and Medical Oncology services.
A warm and friendly atmosphere welcomes those entering the Walker Cancer Center reception area. Located within the center are offices for radiation and medical oncologists, examination rooms, and treatment areas.
The Walker Cancer Center is also where healthcare professionals focus on meeting the nutritional, social, physiological, and spiritual needs of cancer patients and their families.
The center is strategically located to maximize access to the hospital's diagnostic facilities including the Radiology, Laboratory and Pathology departments.
Working together with the cancer center's team of oncology professionals, Brownwood Regional Medical Center's staff of healthcare professionals helps patients return to their normal daily routines following treatments.